Experienced software engineer exploring humanistic approaches to the development of intelligent systems for applications in healthcare. Artificial intelligence should be continuously vetted by the people developing it, using it, and affected by its outreach. My mission is to explore the social implications of decisions influenced by AI and build processes and tools to aid in the ethical development, deployment, and maintenance of such systems.
Northwestern University #
Ph.D. Student in Computer Science | Evanston, IL | Sep 2021 – Current
- Advisor: Josiah Hester
- Focus Areas: Wearables, Artificial Intelligence, Healthcare
Master of Science in Artificial Intelligence | Evanston, IL | Sep 2019 – Dec 2020
- GPA: 4.0
- Courses & Topics: Machine Learning, Deep Learning, Data Science, Natural Language Processing, Statistical Language Modeling, CUDA, IoT, Affective Computing, Human-Centered Machine Learning
Indiana University - Bloomington #
- Bachelor of Science in Informatics | Bloomington, IN | Aug 2009 – May 2013
- GPA: 3.52
- Minors: Computer Science, Business
Programming Languages #
Machine Learning Frameworks #
Python Scientific Libraries #
Database Management #
Cloud Computing #
Source Control #
Application Development & Architecture #
Game Development/Simulation #
Leadership Skills: #
Software Architecture and Design
Agile Software Development Methodologies
Professional Experience #
Northwestern University #
Research Staff | Jan 2021 – Sep 2021 | Evanston, IL
- Ka Moamoa Lab (Josiah Hester, Electrical and Computer Engineering): Led the mobile design and development, system integration, clinician user studies, and data analysis for a computer systems project focused on biometrics tracking of frontline healthcare workers via smart personal protective equipment, leading to a top-tier publication as a co-author. I transitioned to a PhD student in September 2021.
- HABits Lab (Nabil Alshurafa, Preventative Medicine and Computer Science): Optimized a data science pipeline, including video and biometric sensing data, for an ongoing behavioral study tracking an individual’s eating habits over two weeks. As a result, it reduced the processing of a single participant by 88%.
National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) #
Data Science Intern | Jun 2020 – Dec 2020 | Langley Research Center, Hampton, VA (Remote)
- Office of the Chief Information Office: Implemented the software architecture for a mathematics and data science tool that enables users to visualize data, construct and compute pipelines, and upload modular functions in a virtual reality environment.
- Game Changing Development Office: Designed a database schema and supporting business logic for a model-based program management system to increase efficiency through automation, data-driven decision making, and analytics.
Nordstrom Trunk Club #
Senior iOS Engineer | Feb 2018 - Jun 2020 | Chicago, IL
- Stabilized the customer-facing mobile application by building a roadmap to remove technical debt, add unique native features such as dynamic push notifications, universal links, Siri shortcuts, and machine learning model integration.
- Advocated for the separation of web and mobile user experiences, eventually leading to a mobile-friendly redesign effort.
- Architected a modular system for asynchronous data management, implemented a compartmentalized system for vendor integration, and developed key business features such as self-checkout, messaging, and Siri integration.
- Developed and assisted in user experience design of Style Swipes, a feature that allows Trunk Club to collect clothing preferences for future recommender models, which collected over 65 million interactions within the first three months.
Senior Consultant | May 2013 - Jan 2018 | Indianapolis, IN | Seattle, WA | Chicago, IL
- Specialized in mobile development and Salesforce.com/Heroku cloud application implementations, leading multiple cross-platform projects on the Digital Studios team.
- Cross-functional leader for development teams in India and managed communication with international clients.
- Successfully delivered a $3+ million contract for an iPad and data analytics application, overseeing the project from requirements gathering to production as the sole mobile architect.
- Hosted TopCoder challenges in mobile development and application design to present prototypes to clients quickly.
- Gained experience in multiple industries including medical devices sales, retail, human resource management, and non-profit.
Indiana University School of Informatics and Computing #
Head Undergraduate Instructor | Aug 2011 - May 2013 | Bloomington, IN
- Instructed a twice-weekly lab section of Introduction to Informatics.
- Solely Responsible for lab material, grading and holding office hours for 30+ students each semester.
GE Healthcare #
Mac Systems Analyst Intern, Information Technology Leadership Program | May - Aug 2012 | Milwaukee, WI
- Prepared managed deployment scripts of OS X to 400 global users within GE Healthcare.
- Focused on testing and deploying new security features, regarding compliance with HIPAA’s encryption policies.